Book Expo is done. We’ve criss-crossed the Javits floor many, many times. We’ve waited in lines. We’ve sat in on the buzz sessions. We went to BEA speed dating. And we’ve packed up our boxes of books.
Here are the 5 books that I picked up that I am most excited about reading.
- An American Marriage by Tayari Jones. I loved Jones’ novel Silver Sparrow, and her latest novel (due out January 2018) looks like it will be another hit. It’s about a couple whose marriage is tested when he is imprisoned for a crime he didn’t commit. After years separated by these cruel circumstances, will their love survive?
- Unraveling Oliver by Liz Nugent. After hearing about this thriller at the BEA Adult Editor’s Buzz Panel, I am excited to read it. I don’t always love psychological thrillers, but this one sounds pretty good: a man has beat up his kind and supportive wife and left her in a coma. Why? What is he hiding? (August 2017)
- Also from the BEA Adult Editor’s Buzz Panel: Chloe Benjamin’s The Immortalists, which follows the lives of four siblings who visit a fortune-teller in New York City who tells them the days of their deaths. The book looks at fate vs. free will as it tracks each sibling’s choices in the face of the fortuneteller’s predictions. I can’t resist this premise and can’t wait to dive into this book. (January 2018)
- Mrs. Fletcher is Tom Perrotta’s latest novel to tackle relationships and dissatisfaction in the suburbs. This one’s about a forty something divorced woman who takes to the Internet for sex, while her son learns a lesson about how to treat women in his freshman year of college. (August 2017)
- Michelle Richmond’s The Marriage Pact is about a strange cult-like club that a newly married couple joins, not knowing that it will commit them to a series of disturbing examinations and tests of their commitment to each other. (July 2017)
There are so many other books that I can’t wait to read – what a strong showing for fiction at BEA this year!